Sunday 20 November 2011

O-training

I've had a strength block going on in my training but nevertheless I've tried to do some orienteering too every week. A few times I've been training in Cannock Chase, one of the best areas to orienteer around here. Training from Penkridge Bank was a new area and map for me, which made it all even more fun. I love to go to new places to orienteer, especially if it turns out to be as nice and beautiful as it did. I slightly missed the third control at the first glance as it was hiding below the brackens but otherwise it went quite smoothly as soon as I realized that the controls lay below the brackens and weren't visible from afar. Most of the terrain was however open and beautiful.



















Another training was in Sherwood Woods in Nottingham on the map of Byron's Walk. I had hoped to get further into South but unfortunately the course just circulated around a somewhat limited area. You can't always win can you? Well it was at least nice weather and an easy way to do a longer training when I included some warm-up and cool-down jogging along the paths. And taking 25 controls forces you to do some map reading too. In addition I got some extra hill training without even noticing it. Some areas were nice but most of it was quite outgrown (observe also the very true notifications on the map: light green = slow run; intermediate green = walk; green lines = walk; dark green = fight) and therefore I used a lot of paths. I passed a couple of "walk areas" and one "fight area" where I really had to drop the pace to get through. As long as you kept yourself in the runnable areas it was okay.



On Sunday OD organized a color-coded event and WMOA Champs in Hay Wood, one of the nearest forests to us. I've been training there a couple of times but it's always better when someone else plans the course and you don't know what to expect. I chose to do the Brown, the longest course available. It was a fun course with a lot of turns and an excellent compass training, as you couldn't see much of the features due to overgrown brackens. I may have made a couple of stops and took number 14 on my way to 7 but otherwise it went nice and smoothly. White areas weren't as open as you would think (due to brackens) but it was somewhat runnable and a lot of fun anyway!