Thursday 31 January 2013

Winter of compromises



It's been a different kind of winter with a lot of alternative training and compromises. 
Ever since the middle of November I've been struggling with a foot injury that has lately transformed from weird metatarsal pain to more conventional plantar fasciitis (don't really know whether to be relieved or not). First I thought it was good that the initial pain was more or less gone and the pain had proceeded towards the heel but nonetheless situation remains pretty much the same. I've still got pain when I run and it gets even worse afterwards. But hey I just read that most people recover completely within a year  so I've got no worries! (what?!? a whole year?!?) I also found out that it is often associated with high BMI (I should really get worried!).

So I've spent much more time in saddle, gym and pool than running and gradually I'm getting a bit bored to it. I was happy to be able to run the first World Cup round in New Zealand but in reality my foot was not yet fully recovered and running there didn't help much the process. On the other hand the whole trip was amazing and gave me a huge mental boost that I really needed.

When back in England I thought I could do some proper training again by cycling but then we got lots of snow and for a week or so cycling outside was not an option. I tried running in snow, which was much better than running on hard surface, but it was not painless. When the snow was finally gone and I was excited to get back in the saddle the first thing that happened was that my bike got punctured. I know it happens quite often but at that moment it just felt a bit unfair after all misery. The day after I got the tire changed and was just getting ready for a new ride when stomach flu hit me and put me to bed. I'm not complaining, it just hasn't been any dancing on roses lately.

Anyway, it's looking slightly better now (knock knock) and I really hope I will be able to run again in a few weeks time when heading off to Portugal for a training camp. Plan was to run both POM and MOC but we'll see how it goes. Adios!