Wednesday 1 May 2013

Between two apartments and two countries


It's been a busy, stressful but still wonderful month. First we've been living in a chaos in the middle of a move here in England and then before we had really settled in to our new home in Rugby I did a short trip to Finland to do some technical O-training and take part to first races there. Shortly, training there went brilliantly and I feel I'm getting fitter and faster day-by-day but unfortunately I wasn't able to deliver any good results because of numerous small mistakes. Anyway it's going forward now.

Before Finland I spent a wonderful weekend in the Lakes running the LOC double in Esthwaite and Graythwaite, undoubtedly among the best O-terrains in England. See Hollie Orr's great description about the weekend here.

In Finland I stayed a week near Turku orienteering there on daily basis before taking part to the second race of Huippuliiga, the Finnish premier league in orienteering. The week went well and I felt that my skills got better and better day-by-day and I got more and more used to running in that tough terrain there (believe me it's quite different from West Midland terrain!). But it wasn't particularly easy and as you can imagine my legs were pretty tired after 6 days of training there. So I wasn't expecting any high speed or miracles on Saturday when starting on to a 11,1km course in the same terrain type. But I was actually happily surprised how good and easy it felt physically all the way. Unfortunately I cannot say the same of my orienteering.

Trainings had gone technically well and I had found confidence in my orienteering but 1:15000 race map and a very detailed area in part of the race made it a lot more challenging. I had difficulties to see details on the map, such as to which direction crags pointed and whether a control site was crag or a hill (yes I forgot to see the descriptions a few times or misread them). On most legs I made very good job until the circle but it took me some extra time to spot the flag there. Half a minute here, a minute there, 5-6 minutes altogether. That's awfully lot but I'm learning, adapting, and making progress. Bottom line I'm running again, painless and without compromises.


Tiomila, the highlight of the spring season, coming up this weekend, stay tuned!

 
Picture Suomen Suunnistusliitto