Tuesday 25 June 2013

A broken dream


I remember being at World Champs in Tampere 2001 watching and wondering how it would feel to run there. Home champs are special, you always have a bit of advantage by knowing the terrain type and having the crowds at your side cheering and supporting you. Everyone wants to live it. When Vuokatti got its champs it was obvious that every top orienteer in Finland wanted to run there and made everything to fulfil their dreams. Me included. But the places are few and the game is hard.

I focused mainly on the long distance because I knew it would suit me and I had trained hard for it. I knew my shape was good and I knew I could orienteer there. I really had it in my hands but after a good start (2nd, only 5 sec behind Anni-Maija after 14 min of running) I fell asleep for a second and lost myself while heading towards a road, got confused and lost the grip totally on that leg. One single simplified leg that destroyed the whole dream. I lost over 4min there but gathered myself and made a good run after that (at least something to be proud of). Rest of the course went well but I lost some time when I had to return and re-punch control 5 and also on route choices at the end of the course by running through marshes on legs 16-17 and 17-18. I was 4th and not selected. Only 3 best get to run. Last year I was 3rd and also not selected. But this time it hit a lot harder because I was in much better shape and I really had a chance and capacity.

I feel empty. This was my biggest dream and it certainly takes a while to get over it...

I also feel sorry for those who made the results but not into the team. Life isn't always fair.