Friday 4 March 2016

Fight against larvae in Alicante

On Monday I came back from a training camp in Alicante. According to Thierry it is one of the best places to spend winter as an orienteer, so at the last minute I signed up to LinnĂ©’s training camp in Guardamar. I have been there on training camp twice before in the late 90’s, although back then in Torrevieja, but all I can remember (in addition to some funny incident in a local restaurant) is a burning rash and itching. This time, the thing that I most likely won’t forget any time soon, is a burning rash and itching. I still have red dots all over my body and skin is just starting to smoothen after being like a burning potato field.

Apart from the larvae and burning skin, the training camp was terrific and just what I needed. A week filled with technical training in otherwise perfect conditions and relaxation in good company. I feel like my shape is getting better and better after just a few months of training but my orienteering is still far behind. It can be irritating when your legs go faster than your brain but mostly I just enjoyed it. It’s definitively better that way. It took me some days to find a good pace and rhythm to my orienteering but it was great to see day-to-day improvement.

Albin had planned us a full schedule with three trainings a day and with fair amount of high-speed quality sessions included. I skipped most of the night sessions but still got 18 orienteering trainings in eight days, half of them in full speed (or at least high-intensity). I call it a good week. It was also a good mixture of dune terrains, sprints, and hill terrains, to get some variety into your training. It was a great week and without the larvae I would love to go there again. Maybe worth mentioning is that only a few of us got serious problems with the rash and just one of us needed a hospital visit due to anaphylactic reaction. Most of us didn’t get anything or just a mild rash. So it’s probably fine to go there but take some antihistamines and hydrocortisone with you. 

On the way back I picked up a flu probably due to massive sleep deprivation (impossible to sleep when you’re itching all over) so I have spent most of the time at home sleeping and recovering before my next visit to Spain. This time I will head further to south, to larva-free zones. Adios!


Sprinting on the streets of Caravaca de la Cruz

Early birdie training on the dunes 



Breakfast in the sunshine

Tricky sprint around Atalaya castle in Villena

Morning runs on the beach

Typical training terrain, Guardamar Sur