Monday 18 June 2012

Dramatic Venla relay


The highlight of the summer, the Christmas of all orienteers, Jukola and Venla relays, were held this year in urban surroundings of Vantaa, near the Finnish capital city Helsinki. It gathered together over 15,000 runners and tens of thousands spectators to Hakunila sports park on beautiful mid-June weekend. The atmosphere was fantastic and the weather was just perfect. But what would it be without dramatics? Last year we were running towards a clear victory until the last meters and the second last control where a small mistake dropped us to a second place. This year we were again running solo in the lead when the worst possible news hit and broke us: we had taken a wrong map and we were disqualified. What??? Can't be true!! But it was. We all ran well and punched carefully the right controls, just a tiny little mistake in the changeover got us disqualified. Maybe we were too focused on winning, too used to number one or just can't count any further. I can't provide any rational explanation but here's my version of it anyway.

I got the honour to run the first leg and start together with 1246 other women. It was amazing to start in such a crow and the excitement was palpable. I knew it would be demanding terrain, right from the start point, and that I should get the first control right to make a good start and a good run. I also knew the number of my map at this point and checked it several times before the bang. "2-1. Correct. Yes it is. It's still the same, hasn't changed". The way to the start point was long and there was plenty of time to read the map before that. I skimmed through the whole course and made plans to the first control. I knew where I climbed up the first hill but suddenly just before the control I wasn't 100% sure which of the parallel hilltops I was running. I made maybe a half a minute mistake on the first control. Not a big one but big enough to get a bunch of runners past me. After that I ran well the rest of the course but it took some time and effort to pass the runners in front of me. Gradually I gained places and at the end of the course I got sight to Silja Tarvonen who changed 3rd. Merja Rantanen from Jämsän Retki-Veikot got a minute gap to rest of us but I was happy to come 12th, only 23 seconds behind the second. Great start and we were along in the fight!

After the finish line I ran into another runner and got a bit confused where the maps were. I tried to find the maps with small numbers and when I after some hesitation found them I just took one with number 2 on it from the end of the stand. I was in a hurry and assumed I took the map with label 2-2 but accidentally I tore the adjacent map, the map 1-2, which was Domnarvet's map. I was exhausted and didn't notice this awful mistake. I passed the unopened map to Anni who also checked the number 2 on it and ran off. She made an excellent run and came in in the lead with a clear marginal to the chasers and sent Saila away with a happy face totally unaware about what had happened. The nightmare came out after the Emit readout which revealed that Anni had run a wrong course (the forking of Domnarvet instead of ours). We both felt bad about it and tears came out when we met.

Saila went out and ran her race unaware of what had happened. It wasn't until she came into the changeover when everyone knew for fact what had happened and she got stopped after the finish line. Venla never got a chance to fight for the medals, she was forced to wait a half an hour before they let her out. Obviously we didn't get any official result either. I feel terribly sorry about what happened, not only because of what happened to us but also for Domnarvet who missed valuable time before they got their extra map. These things happen every now and then and it certainly tears you apart when it happens to you in the world's greatest orienteering event in front of thousands of spectators.

Next year it will be even harder with the numbers because we'll be punished and won't be running then with a single number...