Friday 29 June 2012

Towards Switzerland!


I just spent some great days training and racing in Jura Mountains on the French-Swiss border. I went there for two reasons: to run WOC selection races and to do some proper hill training for my next big challenge: Jungfrau marathon and World Champs in long distance mountain running. Oh yes I'm going take part to this panoramic mountain marathon that they announce to be "die schönste Maratonstrecke der Welt". This year it will also be hosting the World Champs in long distance mountain running, which makes it all even more exciting. I'm proud to represent Finland there and I'm really excited (and scared) about it!

But back to the selection races. I didn't run World Cup at St Gallen but I was really happy to get a chance to run the WOC selection races. I didn't care if my chances to make it to the team were slim, I just wanted to go there and give it a try. After all, WOC in Lausanne was my main goal of the season and this was the nearest you could get it (literally) if not selected to the team. I just wanted to see how it goes and get the project finished.


Middle distance race was held in Bois de la Pile just south of the terrain of WOC middle distance final. It was a selection race for the Finnish and Swiss teams but a number of other teams took also part, making it an impressive international event that gathered together most of the world's best orienteers. The area was small and seemingly easy on the old map but the actual terrain and the courses were challenging. I had a good start (second overall on the control 6), made then some small mistakes and got a bit tired but managed to hold it together and was happy to finish as 3rd Finn and 10th overall. Results

Long distance in Grand Jorat on the other contrary didn't go too well. It was supposed to be my better distance but I just had a really bad day physically and lost time little here and there, especially on some nearly impassable vegetation zones. A few ditch ends in the nettles I searched for minutes and I might have lost time on some route choices too. I haven't had a chance to analyze them yet, so I don't know for sure my time loss on them. I tried to go around as much as possible but not always in right places. Garmin showed that I ran over 3km extra. That sounds like a lot. I was 5th Finn and 21st overall. I was hoping for better, but it just didn't work out. Even with a clean run I would have been minutes behind Simone, so there's not much room for speculation. I just wasn't fit enough. After all, I came to these pre-games as an outsider and was happy to make it at least once among the top3 Finns. I would have needed a clear victory to make it to the team and with the day's form I hadn't been able to do it. Results

So I didn't make it to the WOC but I'm still happy that I made the trip. I got back some of my lost self-confidence, I could enjoy my morning coffee in stunning scenery, I got some hill training for free and I got used to the thin mountain air. In other words just great on-site preparation for the Jungfrau. A few easy days and it's time to start some serious training towards another champs!