Monday 9 July 2012

Running along a historic canal line


The old good BCN Main Line (Birmingham Canal Navigations Main Line) from Wolverhampton to Birmingham originates from 18th century and the time of industrial revolution when a water route from Birmingham to coalfields of Black Country was needed and constructed. Some hundreds of years later local runners came up with a brilliant idea to utilize this beautiful water route for another purpose: an off road half marathon from Black Country to Birmingham.

The race started from the British Waterways Boat Yard in Wolverhampton and followed the canal side all the way to Brindley Place in Birmingham city centre. After some typical English summer weeks of heavy rain and flood alerts the route was thoroughly soaked and muddy, adding some extra challenge to it.

I started in a small group of elite women and after a while three of us had a clear gap to the others. We started quite hard and my hamstrings felt tight from the strength training the day before. I wished I hadn't done that. Moist bricks were worst and I kept on slipping on them. Fortunately most of it went on small grassy footpaths that were a hundred times better than slimy bricks. After 6k there was a 360 yards long dark tunnel that provided some extra excitement to the race. It was described as an entertaining feature enjoyed by some, hated by others but remembered by all. And that's what it was: a truly memorable moment. Because of its curved shape and slippy, uneven surface I was afraid of hitting my head to the ceiling and forced to drop my pace. I was lucky and didn't hit my head or fall into canal but I was anyway extremely delighted to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Run continued and brought some more rain, some loose dogs, locks and a number of bridges. I got tired, dropped behind my contenders, cheered up again and passed one of the girls in front, got caught by some male runners who'd started in a wave behind us, passed some elite men who'd started before us, got close to the leading girl but was totally finished a few kilometers too early and lost sight to her again. I struggled the last kilometers to reach the finish line but got there finally tired, soaked, muddy and sticky (covered with sports drink). Tough run but I was happy to have it done and to finish as 2nd woman. Just a thought of another 13-miler with 1500m climb after the finish line felt frightening. Having second thoughts? No, not really (=yes, every day), just happy to have a few more months to get the work done.