Monday 5 May 2014

Roller coaster of emotions


It seems that we have a tendency to create a bit drama when it comes to big relays like Venla or 10mila. Sometimes it's about surprising everyone by winning the relay with an unknown team, sometimes it's about getting disqualified when alone in the lead with a wrong map, sometimes it's about losing it all on the second last control, and sometimes it's about losing it before it even starts by losing 40% of your team (no they didn't die, they just had some health-related issues). Been through it all and I prefer the first scenario.

However, in this year's 10mila the last scenario hit us. Three of us had already arrived in Eksjö for the relay when we heard that two of our best runners had opted out in the last minute. It was Friday, the day before the relay, so there wasn't much to do. All we could do was to transfer two runners from the second team to the first team, two from the third team to the second team, and two from the fourth team to the third team, and for forth team...well, we told them to sell those two remaining legs for the highest bid. I'm not sure how it ended.

Anyway, the news wasn't too cheerful and the first reaction was...erm...maybe it's better not to write it out. Anyway we were more or less f..cked. Not that we didn't have good reserves but the thing was that we had also lost our last leg runner and none of us wanted to run that.  We had all had some problems in the preceding weeks and no one wanted an extra challenge. We were happy with the given legs. Period. Martina had prepared only for the first leg for some time, so she was untouchable. And Sonja and Heidi, reserves who got upgraded into the first team, got automatically legs 2 and 3. This meant that Saila and I had to play rock paper scissors for a few hours before I finally gave up and agreed to run the last leg. Saila's last desperate move was to point out the fact that I had done a couple of strides after the training we had done whereas she had felt too tired for that.  So it was settled. Argh I should have skipped those strides..

When we had finally agreed on the running orders in all our teams we had whole 15 minutes time to register them. There was some excitement that we would miss it but our confident coach Janne got it all arranged in time. After that we could relax a bit and start to adjust to the new situation. After some pep talk, map geeking and discussing tactics we felt slightly better and there was a nice atmosphere within the group. This unfortunate course of events brought us closer together and we realized that we could not change the situation but we could try to make the best of it. We didn't have a winning team anymore but we could try our best and maybe make it to top 15 if lucky.

Martina ran the first leg. She did very well but made one parallel mistake where she lost the front group. At the first changeover we were 37th, 4:05 behind. Sonja continued the good work on the second leg and sent Heidi out as 31st, 6:29 behind the lead. Heidi had the legs to hang on to anyone but unfortunately there was no one to follow and she had to orienteer on her own in no man's land. Still she managed to pick up 9 positions and came in 22nd, 7:28 behind. Saila ran very well and lifted us up to 15th place, 10:09 behind the lead. But again, there was a big empty gap in front of us and no realistic chances to catch anyone on the last leg. I was partly relieved because I was still pretty tired and not feeling 100%. I thought I could just enjoy it, without having to push 110%.

So I took all the time I needed to get up the first climb and then slowly accelerated into a nice comfortable rhythm. After 5 controls Lena caught up with me and it was time for goodbyes to my just-having-a-good-time pace. But my body fought against it and allowed me to use only 4 gears. I kept seeing Lena but couldn't really keep up with her. No 5th gear today. In the turning point of the course I made a mistake in the green (control 11) but to my surprise met with Lena again. Also Irina Nyberg from Hellas joined us there. We ran more or less together up to the spectator control, taking slightly different routes and losing sight to each other once in a while but meeting again at the controls.

I thought we had a small gap to Irina just before the spectator control but she must have been there all the time. For me it was just the usual battle between Pyrintö and Domnarvet, as so many times before. From the spectator control I took a different route choice and was a few meters ahead of Lena on the next control. On the second last it was less than that. From there we raced neck and neck towards the last control but then Lena took a shortcut across the terrain whereas I ran directly to the fence. I got a small gap and the rest is history. But I was so focused just beating Domnarvet that I had forgotten Hellas and didn't see Irina coming in the climb just before the last control. Suddenly she just flew past before I noticed. Still, I was more than happy to bring us home 14th. Big thanks to everyone involved! 



Me praying for an extra gear (Photo: Jonas Birgerson)

Happy team getting through with it with a big smile (Photo: Halokeeni Magazine)