Wednesday 21 May 2014

Un espresso, grazie!


Just a few days ago I came home from another great training camp in Italian Dolomites seasoned with home-made pasta and a good cup of coffee. I made my first visit there already in 2004 when I ran the Italian 6 Days (which was actually 3 days in Austria and 3 days in Italy back then). Ever since then I've had warm feelings towards northern Italy. Views, mountains, food, wine, coffee, ice cream...everything! It was definitively love at first sight for me. When I later found out that WOC 2014 would be arranged in the very same area it wasn't hard to find motivation to train for that. Last autumn I spent a week there training with the Finnish Team and couldn't wait to get back.

As you can read from my previous blog there was some tiredness in the air before the training camp and I wasn't feeling as perky and recovered as I wanted to. But as soon as we arrived in Asiago I forgot my tiredness, flu, allergy, borreliosis, and the rest of the problems. I just loved the to be there, able to train in those magnificent surroundings together with the national team. It was such a luxury in so many ways compared to my DIY training camps. Initially I was going there for an own training camp with a friend but at the last minute we were able to sneak in to this ready-made training camp, which made everything easier and enabled us to train more and better.

We stayed first in Asiago, training in the middle distance and relay terrain type, before moving to Lavarone, where we could focus on the long distance. The whole set-up was very good  (some of the trainings attracted even some random World Champions to take part) and I was happy that I could do most of the trainings as planned. Some of the harder sessions I had to shorten or split into parts but otherwise I was able to follow the plan. Unfortunately some terrains in Lavarone area were still covered with snow and therefore we had to improvise a bit. But not too much. All in all it was very good and I think I've got a good picture what to wait from the WOC terrains and how to prepare for it. But first, in two weeks, I need to convince the selectors that I can master those terrains. The whole Finnish Team will run the 3 Days of Trenches as selection races. I hope to find my lost flow and fitness before that. Exciting times...

Some pics from the training camp - just to make you jealous :)

Morning run, Lavarone
Minna and dandelions, Asiago

Views from Forte Belvedere 

Lavarone village





























Indications of mountain sickness?

Poppies!

Duomo and the sky, Milan

Perfect gloves for Pyrintö chicks
















Window shopping in Milan